Thursday, October 27, 2005

A Catholic explores Hinduism

Are you there Vishnu? It’s me, Bill.


First let me make something clear. I am catholic, so I am not sure how this praying to Hindu gods thing works. Also, I am not converting and I’ll keep my real prayers with God, Jesus and Mary. I don’t pray for football wins with my God. I’ll leave that to the Notre Dame fans. This is not even a prayer. It is more of an appeal. An appeal for karma.


Now I first asked for karma to strike down Brad Butler after his cheap shot. Reading more about it, I found out that karma doesn’t work that way. It is not so much about punishment (although whatever god had a part in UVA’s 7-5 loss upon Butler’s return to the field is my kind of god). From my hollow research, it seems like Hindu karma means results and circumstances are a culmination of previous acts. Basically, if you’ve done good things, you’ll be in a good place. I can get behind that. So with that understanding, I ask you to use karma to get involved in tonight’s football game.


You see Vishnu, BC is the little catholic school that could. We win some games with some likeable kids but never break into the big time. If we are going on the previous deeds theory, we’ve done enough good to overcome our bad (those pesky gambling scandals) and be in a place for something really big. BC has earned a victory tonight. Use your mojo to help make it happen. Bring balance to the Force! If you get involved, I won’t even eat any read meat tonight. We’re facing a tough team. We need all the help we can get.


Well, I won’t take up any more of your time. I know that gods have more important things to worry about. If karma helps BC win tonight, I’ll know who to thank.


P.S. Do you know if Allah watches football?

3 comments:

Mutryn's non-throwing arm said...

Allah hates football. Okay, I'm not sure about that. I know he hates the cheerleaders, but prolly not all of them, and maybe not ours. Do you get what I'm trying to say here?

Unknown said...

I like your style of writing. You break it down nicely. Keep these informative posts coming!

Asus - 14" Laptop - 4GB Memory - 320GB Hard Drive - Matte Lime Green

Asus - 14" Laptop - 4GB Memory - 320GB Hard Drive - Matte Pink

CT said...

Um. Drinking is fun?