Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thanks for nothing

Although BC’s greatest moment (the Flutie pass) came on Thanksgiving weekend, I’ll always remember this holiday for a different reason.


One year ago I was having a great Thanksgiving. We were at my in-laws beach house in Florida. The weather was great. Thursday: food and football. Friday: food, shopping and football. I couldn’t tell you how excited I was for Saturday. We had even started looking at hotel rooms in Phoenix. Matt Ryan’s first start was somewhat worrisome, but Syracuse was so bad and our defense was so good, that I honestly didn’t think it would be an issue.


We woke up Saturday and got brunch at the next beachtown over. I wore my BC sweatshirt. After brunch, we were strolling through the shops and run into a girl wearing the same exact sweatshirt. This might not be a big deal in other parts of Florida, but in the panhandle everything is SEC. So of course I took it as good luck.


The game wasn’t on locally so we went to a sports bar. This one just happened to be owned by family friends, so we had a table with sound reserved for us. Perfect, right? Four hours from Tempe, right? Well I don’t need to tell you how it ended. It was over from the very beginning. The team gave me faint hope when they blocked a punt right before halftime to cut the deficit to 14. It didn’t matter. Syracuse came out and controlled the second half. I didn’t cry, but I did feel worse about that game than I’ve ever felt about a sporting event. I spent the rest of the day in my room. It was crushing on many levels and just another time where I asked myself “is BC ever going to reach that next level?” I am still asking that question. And I am still rooting for BC.

3 comments:

Jay said...

Your problem was you were wearing the same sweatshirt as a girl. I know PINK goes well with your ginger complexion, but seriously man....

Mutryn's non-throwing arm said...

"We are what we are, and our fans are what we want them to be.Our brand of football tastes like ipetac, so deal." -GDF

Jaime Lannister said...

Wow, calling the guy a Gingerkid AND killing his pink sweatshirt!

I was watching that game at my in-laws house on Long Island. I will never, ever forget sitting alone in their living room, screaming into the phone at Bill (or Atl_Eagle to his many fans) and The Entropy Kid and stamping my foot in impotent rage like my name was Viserys.

Everyone we needed to lose lost, the Hen may avoid his deserved ignominy in Boise.