Sunday, April 30, 2006

Thoughts on the weekend -- A BC perspective on the draft

BC Guys
Glad Kiwi went in the first round. I would have felt awful for him if he had slid to Round 2. It is also nice to see Coughlin still has a soft spot for BC guys. I questioned Kiwi’s desire as the only reason he didn’t go in the first half of the draft. We all know Coughlin will ride him. How will he respond? I hope he has a big career and uses the NFL as the ultimate platform for all he wants to accomplish. Congrats to the others who found homes in the NFL as well. I really hope Green Bay uses Will to the fullest.


NC State
Mario Williams, Manny Lawson and John McCargo all went in the first round. Can someone explain to me why NC State wasn’t better? I only caught a few games (and obviously all of the BC game) but I was not impressed with what I saw...especially Williams. How can you take an inconsistent effort guy as the No. 1 overall pick. If the BC line could shut down this crew than I really don’t see any of them becoming huge factors in the NFL. The Williams pick will be one of the biggest misses in the history of the Draft. I think all five of the guys taken behind him will have better NFL careers.


Either way the NFL missed in evaluating these guys or the Amato is a bigger underachiever than I previously thought.


NC State hoops
Speaking of NC State -- why Mike Brey? He seems like just a different version of Sendek. Brey is a good, but not great coach. If he couldn’t build a champion in the Big East, he won’t in the ACC. This is not a guy who is going to change the current pecking order on Tobacco Road. Whittenburg would have been more of a risk, but he also would’ve had much greater upside.

No comments: