Friday, May 19, 2006

Post Spring Blogpoll Roundtable

Burnt Orange is hosting the latest blogpoll roundtable. It’s been a busy week, so I am just getting to my answers now. Check out his blog for great Texas coverage and to see what other bloggers had to say.


1. Which offseason story are you most tired of, and, on the flip side, interested in? (e.g. Reggie Bush's house, Jimmy Claussen, etc.)


Maybe because I saw him skydiving at least a dozen times on SportsCenter, but I am already sick of the Dan Hawkins “revitalizing Colorado” storyline. Didn’t we already go through this with Rick Neuheisel and Gary Barnett? I seem to remember hearing before how the new coach was going to bring a fresh outlook to CU and clean up the mess. This is not the first time that a coach was the “perfect fit for Boulder” and “got CU.” I know rehashing storylines happens everywhere (“Return to Glory” or “the Shadow of the Bear”) but at least Notre Dame and ‘Bama have history on their side. Without the 5th down, what does CU have? Instead of sky diving, I would rather see some analysis of how Hawkins offense will work in the Big XII.


One offseason story not getting enough play is: what is going to happen in Miami this season? How many coaches with National Championships and winning percentages like Coker’s would ever be on the hot seat? Will his house cleaning make a difference? We’ll see.



2. Your head coach comes down with a mystery illness and has to step aside. You get to hand pick the replacement for the 2006 season. Who gets your vote?


My dream coach would be Spurrier. He’s everything TOB is not: a great quote, inventive offensively, and emotional on the sidelines. Of course there is no way that would ever happen. So realistically I would say Pittsburgh Steelers Quarterback Coach Mark Whipple. He’s got the college and pro experience. He’s aggressive offensively. He knows New England. If BC ever has a coaching change, he should be one of the first guys to get a call.


3. Lastly, we'll mix the football and the blogging together here. If you could have anyone switch allegiances and start covering your team, who you gonna pick?


Picking my favorite blogpoller is too hard. Each guy has his own style. So instead I’ll pick a borderline college football blogger who is not part of the poll. Lexicon is a die hard USC fan. I came across his blog on a recommendation. What I like and respect, aside from his passion for the Trojans, is that he is very consistent with his content. He mixes in travel, his job, his kids and his tv habits during the offseason. What I like about his USC coverage and his coverage of college football is that he is not trying to be something unique. Sometimes I feel that bloggers (me included) try to hard to say something new or different every time out. Lex just writes about his experiences going to games and tells you how he did on his bets. That’s about it. I enjoy reading about his struggles battling LA traffic on gamedays and the fun he has following a great team. If he were a BC blogger, I am sure I would eat up his accounts of battling Boston traffic and watching his team lose in painful ways.

1 comment:

ATL_eagle said...

It is not a crusade on my part. I would actually like Al Borges to get a shot. I also think Gene will probably talk to Al Golden, Rob Ianello, and Bicknell Jr. when the time comes. However, the question was who should take over today -- Whipple seems like a good candidate.