Monday, October 02, 2006

Weekend thoughts without grades

I didn’t see any of the game. The audio was good (I don’t have access to ESPN 360), but I don’t feel great about giving any grades. So this is what I thought.


Offense: N/A


Matt Ryan still seems a bit off. I know that a few of the passes were catchable, but you would expect a more crisp day against Maine. Especially with decent protection. Chris Crane played less than I hoped, and didn’t do much to distinguish himself, but didn’t hurt himself either.


The offensive line feedback was good. Good ground numbers and good protection are positive indicators (when you cannot actually see the game).


Callender had his best day of the season. He also broke a long run. The QBs also ran more than expected. Still very little use of Jeff Smith on offense. If you are not going to use him against Maine, when are you going to use him? Whitworth didn’t get the carries, but did catch a few balls for some quality yards.


Ryan didn’t light it up, but he did move the ball around…10 different guys caught passes. Still not much passing to the Tight Ends. After the CMU game, I thought they were going to be a real weapon. Once again shows what I know.



Defense: N/A


A shutout is a shutout. After looking haggard most of the season, the defense showed up, even if it was against a lesser opponent.


The defensive line controlled their area and really shut down Maine’s ground game.


Herzlich gained notice for his all around play. The younger guys on the depth chart are giving me hope that our defense won’t be bad forever.


Special Teams: N/A


No missed kicks. Only two punts. But another fumbled punt return. I thought Tribble had solid hands. Isn’t that why he, and not Jeff Smith, is back there? Very troublesome.


The special teams also deserve credit for the punt block/safety.


Overall: N/A


I am limited in what I can accurately say. It clearly was not the perfect game or make anyone forget the NC State game. But it was a win and a shut out. Two steps in the right direction.

1 comment:

BCMike said...

I was unable to see the game myself, but the game recaps make it look like BC had a 40 yard FG blocked.