Sunday, November 18, 2007

Words of wisdom for all current BC students

[I try not to get preachy on this blog, but I needed to say this. If you are a current student and your friends are waffling about the ACC Championship game, please send them the link to this post.]

If you are current BC student you need to get to Jacksonville for the ACC Championship game. Drive, fly, sail, whatever. Just get there by 1 PM on December 1. There is no excuse. “I’m just a Freshman. I’ll go next year.” Wrong. You can never predict when or how often these things happen. Clemson has numerous program advantages over most of the ACC, yet they haven’t won an ACC title since 1991.

“I’m broke.” You are a college student. Of course you’re broke. But I imagine if you are like most college students you can always scrounge up a few bucks if you really want something. Beg, borrow, deal. Go to the blood bank. Sell your text books. Sell your roommate's text books! Whatever it takes. Credit card debt lasts forever but as the ads say, seeing BC battle for the ACC crown is priceless.

“I don’t have the time” or “I have a big test.” Come on. Don’t be that guy or girl. You can study on the drive or flight. It’s a day game on a Saturday. Even if you drive you can be back on campus by Sunday afternoon.

“I don’t really like sports that much.” Listen, I understand there are some SuperFans out there who had never been to a football game before they got to BC and will probably never go to one after. Traveling 1,200 miles to see BC play Virginia or Virginia Tech may not sound that appealing. People, if the actual game doesn’t interest you, the adventure should. You’re only young once. In a few years getting drunk and hooking up with some Jacksonville local on the Landing won’t be cute or funny. Do it in two weeks and it’s just another thing your friends will needle you about back in the Mods.

Real life is just around the corner. Alumni who want to go to this game have to face much more serious dilemmas. We are paying mortgages, student loans, and car payments. We old timers have to deal with limited vacation days or finding babysitters. You don’t have those obstacles.

In my opinion life gets better with age. I wouldn’t switch places with any college kid in the world. There are many things about being young and in college that are limiting. One of the benefits of your current situation is that you have plenty of freedom and flexibility. Take advantage of it.

Go to Jacksonville. You’ll never regret it.

21 comments:

LAEagle said...

this may be the best article you've ever posted...

kids, it's all true. just throw it on the credit card, worry about it later...

Joe Bags said...

His truth is marching on...

Unknown said...

Just open a 0% finance credit card and transfer the balance of this trip to that and pay it off over 12 months.

Plenty of cheaper options around the city and Jax Beach area. They will be running shuttles from all around the city, so don't worry about staying downtown.

eagleinexile said...

By far the best article ever posted here (and that's saying something). If anyone does not believe ATL's comments, give me a call in 10 years and we'll talk.

Also, here's another wrinkle, those of us in the military have things like "being in Iraq" as limitations towards attendance.

This could be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Bravesbill said...

You do ROTC at BC eagleinexile?

05Eagle said...

Great post. When BC played Duke in the ACC championship in basketball in 2006, two friends and I drove through the night from DC to Greensboro for the game. Although BC lost, it was a hell of a game and an experience/atmosphere I will not soon forget. Take advantage of this opportunity and show the rest of the ACC that BC fans can and will travel to support their team. Go Eagles.

Eagle in Brighton said...

Great post Bill: the trip is already in the works.

Anonymous said...

No, No. When you graduate and have the wife/husband, two kids, white picket fence and a boss, you will definitely remember that Friday night that you spent in the library on a cold dreary winter night in Boston. It will be really really important to study Oceanography rather than go to Florida, jump in the ocean naked, drink like a fish and watch BC play for the ACC!

Unknown said...

I'd go, but I have class the day before. Oh, and the class is in England. But I go home Dec. 4th, what terrible timing, and what a terrible year to leave New England sports. Well, it's better we're doing amazing then bad, let's go BC.

Eagle in Brighton said...

Don't mean to jack the thread, but some unfortunate news out of NY: Kiwi broke his leg yesterday in the Giants game: probably out for the season. With like half of our defensive starters banged up, it looks like the injury bug is looking for alums as well...

John said...

Some of you may have seen this already...I took it down and put it back up.

If this post doesnt work to get them motivated to go to Jacksonville maybe this clip will help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piRHUyz_-AU

America said...

I graduated in 2003 and I would give anything to have witnessed this season as a student. However, it has been great to witness it at all. I have already gone to the GT, Maryland, and Clemson games not to mention all the home games. I promise you I will be in Jacksonville for the ACC Championship game and in Miami for the Orange Bowl. As Fans, whether you are alumni or students, we owe it to the Team and the School to go to these games. Let’s show the country that we disserve to be here.
Also I just want to say great showing by BC fans at Clemson!!

prisbyal said...

My friend is a Georgia Tech student. He went to Jacksonville last year. Believe me, he regretted it. He never shuts up about how awful it was.

BC Mouth 94 said...

ATL

How True, How True. As a 94' grad the victory over ND in 93 was my senior year. I still regret not going to South Bend (over) for that one.

Students: Heed this advice. Do what you have to do. As Appollo Creed says "there is no tomorrow" You just don't know when BC is getting back there or going to be this good again.

I will be going to our bowl game, but as none of you (hopefully) has the litte uns running around and a real job to attend to, you must enjoy this time in your life like you wont see it again until you are around 60.

Peace

John

Big Jack Krack said...

I entered BC as a Freshman in 1964, but I was a fan even before that. My uncle was a Jesuit priest who taught Philosophy at Holy Cross, and I always enjoyed watching his Jesuit friends argue about the football teams (while they ate lobsters and drank my father's booze).

Anyway - I have been a fan for 45 years. My daughter graduated in '92 (Masters in 96 I believe)and she did go to the Notre Dame game in 93.

Here's my advice to all fans - but especially the students - GO TO THIS ACCCG in Jacksonville. We can't get to the Orange Bowl (or better) without winning this game.

I mentioned 45 years for a reason - as has been said, these chances don't come around that often - certainly not in the past - and nothing is guaranteed in the future.

Hit up your relatives for the airfare and go witness this great event. As for the Georgia Tech fan - they lost a close field goal game on a rainy day. They were without their starting quarterback, etc. - and everyone KNEW they were going to lose. They didn't bring many fans and many other reasons added up to a lousy time apparently.

We BC fans know how to enjoy ourselves and each other. (I'm only happy when I'm alone and when I'm with people!) This stuff keeps me thinking young - I love it.

J Mac said...

There is nothing to say but AMEN. If I was still on the heights nothing could stop me from going to Jacksonville.

Eagle in Brighton said...

John- great video man.

eagleinexile said...

Bravesbill,
I did not do ROTC at BC, but I knew a few of the guys in the 94-98 range. I am hoping that 2 trips across the pond will be it for me, but I will be deployed for the title game. Just another reason why I think this post was one of the best yet.

GO BC!

Kash86 said...

Great post, everyone has to get down to this game to prove to the ACC, Bowl Committees, and America that we can travel with the best of them. I drove to Blacksburg from Connecticut and despite the relatively high cost, was the greatest decision and moment of my life. No excuses, get to the Ville to watch the Eagles.

If we play the Hokies again, it will be an unforgettable atmosphere and experience.

Big Jack Krack said...

Hello eagleinexile:

Thanks for your service, man, and please come home safely.

I hope you and your unit members can somehow enjoy a Happy Thanksgiving.

We're going to blast Miami for you on Senior Day - even with a very depleted defense.

And then we're going to Jacksonville with nothing but VICTORY on our minds.

I hope the BC fans back home can lift your spirits - I know the team can!!!

dietmrfizz said...

Hey BC Peeps,

I created a site that aggregates all textbook prices. It's the best way to compare textbook prices and buy and sell your textbook.

Check it out: TextbookSpyder.com