Monday, April 01, 2013

Age is just a number

BC turned 150 today. Well officially April 1 was the day Boston College's Charter was signed. In higher education and especially around the New England, the "age" of a school is a big deal. But as I think about BC, I don't think about how old the school is but how dynamic and changing. The school is not in its original campus. It has expanded its offerings and schools along the way. And over 150 years, the school has growth and changed who it is. What was once a school for Boston area Catholic men, is now an international co-educational university.

I am proud of BC's history and what it stands for, but I am also pretty confident that if BC had been founded in say 1963 (or even 1983), we would still have much for which we would be proud. BC is about our mission, the education we provide and ultimately the BC community. Students, alumni, faculty, staff and families make up an the University. I won't be around for BC's 300th birthday. If I had a time machine, I am sure I wouldn't recognize the campus. But I do believe that the BC community would still share the same spirit that we have today and had in 1863.

4 comments:

Benjamin said...

Well said Bill.

ORDEagle said...

Amen. Ever to Excel!

JBQ said...

Good posting but how about that big earthquake in 2150 that levels the Heights and covers over the reservoir? Just so the Flutie statue isn't damaged!

bceagle93 said...

Bill, you may not be there in 300 years, but something tells me Che Chi will.