Post press conference Signing Day thoughts
Looking at a recruiting class on paper is one thing. Hearing Addazio talk about how he built the group and his thoughts and expectations for players is much more enlightening. The coached addressed the media this afternoon. Here on my thoughts on his thoughts...
1. Build a Wall. That's every coaches' mantra and Addazio appears to be doing it. It is a smart move, supported by most recruiting data. Regardless of facilities, TV, and even education, geography remains the biggest factor in recruiting. A five hour radius tends to be every program's baseline. BC's radius means we need to get the best players out of New England, New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. So far, so good.
2. Playing true freshmen. I want Addazio to redshirt players. He clearly wants to play them right away. Regardless of whether or not we are sacrificing long-term stability, seeing new players on the field next year should be exciting. It also becomes a good selling point to future recruits.
3. QBs. We new about Wade's promise and Murphy's experience. But we had not heard Addazio talk about Troy Flutie until today. Based on the comments, Flutie will get a chance to play.
4. Where is Ohio? For many years the Buckeye State served as the backbone of our recruiting. This year we signed one player from Ohio. Considering we brought in 30 recruits, that is a huge drop off. Maybe Addazio doesn't want to spread his staff too thin. Maybe he just didn't like many Ohio kids this year. Or maybe he didn't want to go head to head with his friend at Ohio State. If we are not a factor in Ohio next year, you will know there has been a purposeful change.
5. Staying big. For the first time Addazio mentioned the future style of play. He admitted that there will be more spread elements this upcoming season but said BC will still impose a bruising style with a run focus.