Friday, September 04, 2009

Preseason breakdown: Quarterbacks

IX of the previews. I waited to write this hoping that time would provide added insight. No such luck.


Consensus
To paraphrase Bill Parcells, when you have four quarterbacks, you don’t have one.


Roster Reminders
Returning Starters
None
Backups and Hopefuls
Codi Boek
Justin Tuggle
Dave Shinskie
Mike Marscovetra


Chatter
Although Shinskie is not the simple solution we hoped for and none of the others distinguished themselves, there is hope. I’ve heard enough chatter that all the guys are playing better than Crane and Davis did in August of last year.


The Real Question
If one QB emerges early in the season, how long does he get to hold the job? How long will we use two QBs? Think back to past QB controversies and the frustration we felt when the change was made too late. If we have something to play for (bowl games, divisions, etc), I hope we are quick with the hook when any of the guys struggle.


My Bold Prediction
Justin Tuggle will start all 12 games. This is not scientific. Just a wild hunch.


What keeps me up at night?

That nothing is solved this season and we go through the controversy all over again next fall.


Outlook
Crane and Davis were turnover machines last season and we still won the division. If any of these guys can be true “game managers” we will be fine.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

I just had a fantasy draft last night... Took Matt Ryan as my starter and Matt Hasselback as my backup. Just thought I'd share.