Monday, April 05, 2010

Nearing a conclusion?

The Globe, the Herald and WEEI are all speculating that BC is close to a decision on its new head basketball coach. I have always felt Gene would make his decision before heading to Detroit for the Frozen Four. That leaves Tuesday or Wednesday. Now Gene has never stated that was his timeline, but I doubt he wants this to linger for too long.


Most think Steve Donahue will be the coach. I've heard everything but have no confirmation on who will get the job. If the football searches have taught us anything, it is that BC will let each finalist/camp think they are getting the job. We almost lead them on and engaged up to the very end.


I know many feel the finalist are low rent and BC should have done better. I disagree. I think all the guys mentioned can succeed at BC. I know I've hedged a bit in this space, but if I had to guess right now (late Monday night) I would still say Cooley or Coen will get the job. No slight against Donahue, it is just my hunch. We will see what happens.

14 comments:

Danny Boy said...

The rumors said that there was another name that had yet to be mentioned. GDF hinted himself that there were one (some?) name(s) that had not been public. Is it just wishful thinking that maybe this name was Brad Stevens? His name could not be thrown around so long as his team was still playing. Now that the season is over, could there be a surprise, last minute interview? Is this just wishful thinking and a little too much conspiracy?

JC said...

Why not Lonergan? I think he would fit in as a "BC guy" and would stay for a long time.

Erik said...

For the record, ACC teams have won 5 our of the last 10 NCAA Tournaments.

Despite that stat, I'm sure we all wanted Hayward's shot to fall last night.

Bravesbill said...

Speak for yourself, but it was nice seeing Coach K get another championship with a team that was far less talented than his previous ones.

FakeShalomTfree said...

For all of you whining about BC's coaching search (which i personally have no problem with), DePaul signed Oliver Purnell- WHO HAS NEVER WON A TOURNAMENT GAME- to a 7 year contract

If any of you know a Clemson fan, just ask them how relieved they are today

Unknown said...

just tweeted by multiple people:

"Boston College, per sources, expected to come to name Cornell coach Steve Donahue new coach replacing Al Skinner today."

Joe said...

Oh come on, gimmee Stevens!

Dan said...

Had Butler won, it would have been fun to get Stevens just to see Coach K stroke out twice a year just looking at him.

Dan said...

Also, can someone explain the "Donahue has never recruited in the bigs" argument to me.

Because by my feeble logic, if you can recruit a competitive team to play in Ithaca against the Ivy League why would you not be able to get kids to come to Boston to play Duke, UNC, Wake, etc... every year on regularly televised games?

Ryan said...

Why was Fran Fraschilla's name not thrown around? I think its a heck of a lot more realistic than Jamie Dixon and Bruce Pearl. He can recruit and even a short Big East head job is more credible than 10 yrs in the ivy with a barely .500 record.

@timstwrt said...

My guess is that Fran Fraschilla wasn't mentioned because it's not 1999.

Unknown said...

I hate duke so much, not because of Coach K or anything, but because of the bandwagon fans that claim to love Duke taunting around this time of year.

Bob Hatcher said...

wait, Gene's going to the Frozen Four? How can that be? I didn't think he was aware we had a hockey team.

Ryan said...

It's not 1999? Great insight.