My ranking of ACC coaches
A few weeks ago HD ranked the coaches of the ACC. With Butch Davis's seat getting hotter, I started thinking: would a guy like Davis ever have fit in at BC? So with "fit" and ability as criteria, here is my ranking of ACC coaches as potential head coaches at BC.
1. Al Golden. I was always a bit skeptical of Golden but his time at Temple won me over. BC had chances to hire him and probably should have.
2. Mike London. I don't know if he will ever win big at Virginia, but I think London could have been a breathe of fresh air at BC.
3. Randy Edsall. Another guy who was nearly BC's coach and wanted the job every time it came open. I don't think he has the personality of London or Golden but he would have competent.
4. Spaz. Yes, I rank our actual coach as only the 4th best fit for BC within our own conference. We all know Spaz's issues. By placing him here I am admitting it could be worse.
5. TOB. TOB in 1997 was a very good fit. If he were to come back to BC, I think it would be less fun and less successful than Spaz's regime.
6. Jim Grobe. He would have fit in with the culture at BC but I think his team's inconsistency from year to year is less appealing than Spaz.
7. Frank Beamer. Obviously he's very accomplished. He also flirted with the BC job once upon a time. But I wouldn't want him now given his age.
8. Paul Johnson. I get to observe Johnson up close here in Atlanta. I really like him and enjoy his offense. But he would never fit in at BC. And the whale pants crowd would whine on and on and on about the option.
9. Jimbo Fisher. Another guy who I think is getting better with each season. But he has never coached at a place like BC. I feel like it would be a huge culture shock.
10. David Cutcliffe. He's surprised me in a good way at Duke. He's also a serious Catholic so BC might be a good fit in that sense. My concerns would be his age, his health and his losing seasons.
11. Butch Davis. Even before the scandal I would have questioned his ability to adapt to BC. Now very little is in doubt. He would have been terrible at BC.
12. Dabo Swinney. Does anyone even want to debate this one? I've been a Dabo basher for a few seasons...and that has been while he's been the coach at Clemson. Can you even imagine him on the Heights?