BC-Wake Forest preview
Last week I wrote about "rock bottom." Although it was just UMass, avoiding embarrassment and winning the game was a step in the right direction. This week's question is can our recurring issues (OL, DL, Rettig's accuracy, and red zone scoring) be masked against an ACC opponent? I've been Mr. Sunshine and think the team will play better. I still we will win at least four games with Wake being one of them. Wake is on an upswing, but I still like the matchup.
Overlooked storyline for the game: BC-Wake heading for a break? The Wake Forest series is the only series BC carried over from our Big East days. This will be our 9th consecutive season playing the Deacons. With the the possibility that Pitt and Syracuse could enter the conference next year, there is a very good chance the divisions are shifted and BC and Wake Forest end up on opposing sides of the conference. If that happens we might play Wake Forest less often. That might not seem like a big deal to those on the outside, but we've numerous close and memorable games. I'll be sad to see them off our schedule.
Three Simple Keys
1. Try different looks against Price. I've watched good portions of Wake's games against Syracuse and NC State. In both, he had time and found open receivers. If we don't mix things up -- like our frustrating game against Duke -- he will pick us apart.
2. Go deep. If you think our corners are challenged wait until you see Wakes. I also think pushing the ball downfield will open up our running game a bit.
3. Passing to our RBs. Given how aggressive teams have been with our WRs and in flushing Chase out, I am surprised we haven't passed more to our RBs. Now that Montel is really back, both he and Kimble should get three or four catches each.
- Wake Forest is 1-3 in Alumni
- Jim Grobe is 0-2 against the spread against Spaz
- Spaz is 11-6 at Alumni
The current line is BC+2.5
Since the series resumed in 2003, five of the BC-Wake Forest games have been decided by less than a touchdown.
A similar theme to last week's scorboard watching...future heavyweights on our schedule. If Clemson can come out of Lane with a win, they can claim a deserved spot atop the polls (they won't get it). Since I am not a big believer in Dabo, I think VT wins.
I hope to see...
Very little punting. Wake is improved, but you can still score on them. BC needs to be consistent and aggressive on offense. The winner of this game will be the first team to score 30.
BC is in trouble if…
We cannot establish the run. Montel is finally back, which means BC will and should focus on the run. If we cannot consistently run, we are in trouble.
This might not make sense, but I think BC plays the game we should have played against Duke. Instead of getting picked apart, I think we pressure Price and force some turnovers. I also think the offense will be more effective.
Final Score: BC 31, Wake Forest 27