BC is headed to Charlotte for the Meineke Car Care Bowl. This is not good, but probably not for the reasons you'd think. First let me get the following out of the way.
1. BC did not get screwed or shafted with this invite. We tied Maryland and Clemson. Head to head doesn't matter. All the bowls care about are ticket sales and we have not shown the same level of interest in these types of bowls as these other schools.
2. BC should never turn down a bowl invite. I hate the system and think we should lead the push towards a true playoff, but as long as this is the system, we need to play the game. I think the additional practices is an over used "bonus" to the bowls. But it does allow for one more game. It does allow the kids to legally get some cool stuff. And for us fans, it is still one more game to watch.
3. This is not Gene's fault. This is not John Swofford's fault. It is all on the coaches. A more compelling style of play, a better record the past few seasons and our fan base might be a little more excited (about everything).
4. The only way to deal with these games is to go and win. They should not be celebrated as a major triumph.
5. There is no difference between Champs, Music City and Meineke. You can say Charlotte is the least desirable city, but they are all held at odd times, out of driving distance and against uniteresting teams (Purdue? Kentucky?). BC would have had a low turnout for any of these games.
6. Wake proved this weekend that reaching the ultimate goal is possible for a school like BC. It won't happen every year, but it can happen. We need to raise the bar.
Why was this the worst case scenario?
-- Unlike Music City and Champs, this game has had relatively strong attendance. We will not travel well for this and will be blamed for the low figure.
-- We were at this game two years ago. This will put a drag on our already slow ticket sales
-- Navy is a well coached, non-BCS Conference team. Yes they are a solid program but it is a classic no win opponent. You are supposed to win, so if you win, there is an empty feeling. Losing looks really bad to the casual fans and recruits. Navy will be ready and will give us a game.
-- BC will be favored and likely extend our streak. The streak brings attention to our weak bowl schedule and we end up looking like the team that can beat a mid-major with a month to prepare, but cannot win a big regular season game.
I won't be going to Charlotte. I have a vacation scheduled and won't change my plans. I will watch the game. I encourage any of you that are interested to go. I've been to some of these lower-tier bowls and while they are not the Rose Bowl, they are fun. If you buy tickets, be sure to get them from BC. Every bit counts.
I hope the players have fun. We need to win. Losing would create even more problems. I'll have more on the match up in the coming weeks. Now, let's hope we get another shot of TOB in the racing suit.