The latest information on the AD search
This is all second-hand information so take it for what it is worth...
- Leo Sullivan is running the search. BC is not using an outside search firm.
- Unlike some of our past searches, we will be reaching out to certain candidates and not just waiting for people to call us.
- Once Sullivan has culled the list, he will present packets on finalists to Father Leahy and perhaps a few select faculty and Board members.
- BC is highly unlikely to promote internal candidates.
- BC is not restricting the search to just people of the Athletic Department world.
- There wasn't one incident that forced BC to take action on Gene. It was a series of events and feedback.
- BC made the move now so that a new AD could be in place before the football season ends.
- There won't be a mandate for the new AD to fire Spaz. It will be his or her decision.
The above is what I've heard from multiple sources. The following is purely what I think...
If BC ends up hiring an AD from a smaller Catholic school, this process will have been a failure. This is a big time job and there is plenty of legitimate interest in the position. Despite the Rutgers bloggers' disbelief, Tim Pernetti is interested in the job as are many other ADs and high-level associate ADs at BCS programs. I would prefer a true outsider, sports executive to take over, but I will support whomever they hire. If I had to guess, I think we will end up hiring an Associate AD from a fellow ACC school.