Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Season Prediction Part III: what will happen

Given what I read and who I talk to, I think I am more optimistic about this team than most. Youth will cause problems, but in college football more and more, we find that great players are great early. The late bloomers round out your team, but they are not the true difference maker. That's the case at Alabama and it even holds true for BC. So despite the age, I think talent will prevail. Plus I think the schedule sets up a transition year very well. Our first two games are perfect opportunities to work out any growing pains. We get Florida State and Virginia Tech (two teams Addazio has played well) at home. We get Wake at home. We get NC State at home. Notre Dame is basically a home game. It won't be a cake walk, but this is manageable.

My biggest concern is what happens when the team gets into a shoot out. I think we can and will grind it out with anyone, but with a raw QB, can we score in bunches? That is what will determine the season. But overall, I think this will be a good year. Other than injuries, I fear a QB controversy. If Wade isn't the guy, how will Addazio manage it all. Let's hope it doesn't get to that. 

Here are my official predictions for the season.


What Will Happen


Maine. Win. Easy warm up and the backups get to play for long stretches in the second half.

Howard. Win. It is not close nor really that entertaining, but the W helps.

Florida State. Loss. I hate moral victories but people will feel good after this close game. Wade looks pretty good against legitimate competition.

Northern Illinois. Win. This is the first real barometer for how the season will play out. BC doesn't look great but still scraps to a win.

at Duke. Win. This Duke team is not as good as some of their recent squads and BC pulls out a huge road win.

Wake Forest. Win. Closer than we want, but the defense makes a few big plays late to close out the game.

at Clemson. Loss. In every scenario, I see this as a loss. Who knows? Maybe with Chad Morris gone, the Clemson Offense falls apart. As much as I want that to happen, I just don't think this is the year we take them down.

at Louisville. Loss. This is the toughest part of the schedule. Petrino is a jerk, but he's a good coach. We don't win.

Virginia Tech. Win. This is like the Northern Illinois game. After facing Clemson and Louisville, how we come out in this game will tell you a lot about the team's heart and motivation. I like to believe that we will win.

NC State. Win. I think our defense will be tough at home and late in the season.

Notre Dame (neutral). Loss. This is a tough one to call a loss, but I think their offense will be one of those that puts up a lot of points.

at Syracuse. Win. I think that Syracuse's season will be over at this point and they will sleep walk through this game.

That would leave BC at 8-4 (5-3 in the ACC). Not good enough to win the division nor demand a premium bowl. I think BC falls to the Military Bowl and faces Addazio's old Temple team. We win a low-scoring affair and finish 9-4. If this happens, I think it will be a sign that the future is bright under Addazio.

5 comments:

CT said...

Just for kicks, have you gone back and matched up our real W-L and your pre-season predictions? Would be interesting to see. Am I wrong in supposing there are lots of 7 or 8 win predictions?

BCDoubleEagle said...

Pretty accurate predictions, except for the Spaz years

2014:
Predicted: 7-6
Actual: 7-6

2013:
Predicted: 8-5
Actual: 7-6

2012:
Predicted: 5-7
Actual: 2-10

2011:
Predicted: 8-5
Actual: 4-8

2010:
Predicted: 11-3
Actual: 7-6

2009:
Predicted: 8-5
Actual: 9-5

2008:
Predicted: 10-3
Actual: 9-5

2007:
Predicted: 10-3
Actual: 11-3

2006:
Predicted: 10-3
Actual: 10-3

2005:
Predicted: 8-4
Actual: 9-3

EL MIZ said...

the Spaz years still make me shudder. god those were not good times.

Hoib said...

Atl

We are dead to rights in any shootout. It's just not how we are designed to play. I don't share your anxiety about QB. No matter who it is they are not asked to do what Matt Ryan was. They will mostly hand off, w/ an occasional run or throw. So just like we won't mind seeing Hilliman, Outlow, and Willis come in and out. I don't see why we can't do the same at QB. I bet OSU will do something like that, and we know Daz and Urbin are on the same page. So long as all 3 are good runners and decent passers lets see them all, and if one shines ahead of the others he's the guy. Thanks to Deagle for the lookback.

CT said...

ATL seems a bit ahead of the palm-reading curve. Second professional chapter perhaps?