Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Season prediction Part III: what will happen

Predicting our wins and losses was much easier in the TOB days. In 2005 I was nearly perfect. In 2006, I had the win total right. In 2007 we exceeded my expectations. Last year I had the conference record right but didn't think we'd get into the ACC Championship. In all of those years I felt pretty good about my prediction. This year, I fear I am wearing maroon and gold colored glasses. I am betting on a QB(s) I've never seen in live action and a defense that will be starting one sophomore and two freshmen at linebacker. Regardless, this is what I think will happen and will serve as my official prediction for Spaz Year 1.


Northeastern.
Win. Both QBs play well. The defense doesn't miss a beat. Everyone goes home happy.


Kent State.
Win. More of a challenge than the Huskies, but still a solid uneventful win for BC.


At Clemson. Win. I really don't think much of Dabo Swinney. Clemson probably has more talent than we do, but also has many of the same issues (QB, coaching changes, etc). I think we go down there and surprise them.


Wake Forest. Loss. As we all know, these Wake games are always nail biters. I think we come out on the wrong end this year.


Florida State. Loss. I think we match up well against Florida State and will keep it close. I just fear that they will make a big play or two that determines the game.


At Virginia Tech.
Loss. This is a tough game under the best conditions. I don't see us winning.


NC State.
Win. While I think they will be improved, I don't think NC State will be as good as people are expecting. We take care of TOB again.


At Notre Dame. Win. I feel the same way about Notre Dame (in fact let me cut and paste here)...While I think they will be improved, I don't think Notre Dame NC State will be as good as people are expecting. We take care of Weis TOB again. Actually the dynamic is slightly different in that Spaz cares a lot about the NC State game. I think our players care a lot about beating Notre Dame. Plus I love where we fall in their schedule. They will either feel like heroes for beating USC and overlook us or be down in the dumps and fearing another slide. Either way, we can hit them hard early and control the style of play.


Central Michigan. Win. I think it favors us that we play them after they've been in the heart of their conference schedule and we are coming off Notre Dame. We'll be mentally and physically toughened by this point.


At Virginia. Win. Virginia could be a lot like BC (good D, patchwork O). This will probably be tougher and closer than we like, but I think we win.


North Carolina. Loss. We get them at home and late in the season, but I still think they have more talent and will have more on the line when we play.


At Maryland.
Loss. Although we are 3-1 against the Terps in ACC play, Fridge has always managed to move the ball on Spaz. Turnovers have been the key. I think they get the better of us this year.


This leads to a 7-5 regular season but only a (3-5) conference record. That sends us to Mobile. I predict we will face Temple in a matchup that never drew fans in Philadelphia nor Boston. We win easily to finish the season 8-5. That won't be enough to get us ranked but it will certainly be a positive season considering all the mess we've been through.

13 comments:

Big Jack Krack said...

I think we'll beat Wake Forest this year. Central Michigan is a sweat game for me (after ND - even if it's Homecoming or Parents Weekend) and they still have LeFevour at QB.

I'm still hoping for 4-4 in conference or even 5-3 again.

Our Bowl Game is the ACCCG - until we win the championship, we'll always be pushed down. We'll get to the Orange Bowl someday - how about next year?

A game in Mobile against Temple would be the worst matchup in all the bowls - the stands would be empty.

I'd rather go to SF or Washington, DC. We're not going to Jax or Atlanta or Nashville, or Charlotte, maybe Orlando would take us back

Go BC!

dixieagle said...

Though I would love to be able to cheer on BC here in Mobile, I'd frankly much rather see them do well enough that I don't have to.

Mobile and the GMAC folks would be good to you; the southern hospitality here can't be beat!

But, I'm still hoping for a better bowl. Can't wait until Saturday!

Erik said...

North Carolina is the only ACC team we haven't beaten, if I'm correct. We gotta get them this year!!!

Big Jack Krack said...

Hello Dixieagle - Mobile would be fun with the right opponent. Temple would not be that opponent because they have very few fans. In fact BC playing any MAC Team (nothing against the MAC) in Mobile would be a difficult game for which to draw fans.

I'm with you Erik - we need to pay UNC back this year. Although I will be at the game (from Columbia, SC) I hope it's chilly and cold on November 20th. I don't think we have ever beaten a Butch Davis team - this is pay back time!

eagle1331 said...

Big Jack, or anyone, do you know the best way to get to Clemson from South Florida? Is there any way to get from campus to Greeneville airport cheap, or is my best option Charlotte?

Thanks!

Big Jack Krack said...

Eagle1331 - I think the best would be either through Atlanta (cheapest) or Charlotte. Both are direct flights from Miami, and the drive over to Clemson (maybe 2 hours) wouldn't be too bad. Maybe you could pick up a reasonable rental. That's what I would do, rather than hopping over to Greenville (double the cost) - and that would take just as long. Any Upstaters got better suggestions?

If you can make it. it's worth it. See you there!!!!!

Alex F. said...

Erik, you are correct....which is ironic because our last game as a member of the Big East was a win over the Tar Heels.

Big Jack Krack said...

eagle1331 - I understand that the Greenville airport is a 30-45 minute drive from the Clemson campus - if that info helps you make your decision.

America said...

TAMPA FIRED JAGS!!!!

Eagle in Somerville said...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4442178

TAMPA, Fla. -- In a stunning move 10 days before the start of the regular season, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have dismissed offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski.

The team announced the move in a statement Thursday morning and also said quarterbacks coach Greg Olson will take over as coordinator. There was no reason given for Jagodzinski's firing, but coach Raheem Morris is scheduled to discuss the situation later in the day.

Jagodzinski was hired by Morris in January after a rocky ending to his time as head coach at Boston College. Jagodzinski was fired by the Eagles after interviewing for the head coach vacancy with the New York Jets against the wishes of the college's administration.

Olson came to the Bucs as quarterbacks coach last year under former coach Jon Gruden. He previously has been offensive coordinator for Detroit and St. Louis.

The Bucs became the second NFL team in three days to make a preseason change at offensive coordinator; the Kansas City Chiefs relieved Chan Gailey of his duties on Monday and said head coach Todd Haley will take over the role.

Pat Yasinskas covers the NFC South for ESPN.com.

Eagle in Brighton said...

Jags out!


VERY curious to see how this transpired.

GDF vindicated? or Jags returns to the college ranks to be a periodic thorn in our ass?

downtown_resident said...

Back to BC's season, I'm with you ATL, in calling a 7-5 record for the Eagles this year. (I predicted a 9-3 season last year somewhere in the archived comments on your blog).

campy said...

or Jags returns to the college ranks to be a periodic thorn in our ass?

Wouldn't it be funny if ND axed Weis and hired Jags?