Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Blogpoll roundtable

It’s been a while since I had a moment or two to participate in a blogpoll roundtable. I liked Ryan’s questions, so here goes:

Q1. Why your school? Did you go to school there? Were you legacy, did you pick it for academics, for the football team, the party reputation?

I went to high school at a boarding school in rural Connecticut. When it came time to apply to college I knew what I wanted -- a bigger school in a city. The summer before my Senior Year, my mom and I set out on a road trip to tour seemingly every city campus in the Northeast. BC was our first stop. It was a beautiful summer day and the campus looked great. Not many students were around, but the ones there looked like me. That might not seem like a big deal, but once you start looking at the top schools in the Northeast, you’d be surprised at how few white, catholic, preppy kids there are walking around. As we got in the car, I said to my mom that “I could see myself here.” I applied early a few months later and the rest is history. It was probably the best decision I made. I received a wonderful, well-rounded education. I got to cover big-time college sports. I made some wonderful friendships. And most importantly I met my wife. She is clearly the best thing that ever happened to me (and for those of you who think I am sucking up to her, please note that she does not read this blog). Most of my regular readers now know my love for the school. Our first baby eagle is due in less than two months. I am pressing for her to come home in our BC onezy (sp?). (While we are on the subject of BC, I should thank my parents for picking up the tab. But look at it from their perspective. If they hadn’t sent me to the Heights, I wouldn’t have met my wife. Without her, I would probably be living in my parent’s basement and hogging their phone line while waiting on hold for Mike & the Mad Dog. I’d say $120,000 is a small price to pay to get your son out of the house, marry a wonderful girl and provide your first grandchild.)


Q2. Name a player or two who had "THE GAME" against your school. I'm talking about a guy who simply dominated your team and all you could do was tip your cap and say, "Wow."


Michael Vick. This is easy. His 84 yard scramble was the most amazing play I’ve ever seen against BC. This is a football roundtable, but I also have to mention Allen Iverson. He was easily the fastest player I’ve ever seen on a basketball court. His explosiveness running the open court without the ball shocked me. I believe my actual words were "holy shit."


Q3. There are games that I have no interest in but I watch simply to see a certain guy play. What players from this season do you do the same for?


I think Reggie Bush is good, but he doesn’t do it for me (there, I said it). I was in Vegas for the Fresno State game and me and a friend of mine were the only ones in the sports book rooting against 'SC. I guess I am just sick of the whole squad at this point. I hope Vince Young does something amazing in Pasadena, just to take down the Trojan hype for a day or two. But back to the question. I flip like crazy during non-BC games. Not for one player. Just to get a feel for what is going on in games.


Q4. A few weeks ago we were asked who the best player to suit up for our school was. I'm curious who your favorite player to ever suit up for your school is? Certainly doesn't have to be a superstar, or even a starter.

I like this question, because it just gives me another reason to relink to my Paul Peterson tribute.

1 comment:

ATL_eagle said...

I went to Hotchkiss.