Thursday, January 03, 2008

Addressing the Jags rumors

Peter King has been banging the drum for Jags as a potential NFL head coach all week. That combined with the openings in Atlanta, Miami and Baltimore have a few BC fans feeling nervous that we are about to lose our coach. I have no scoop, but I am really not concerned about losing Jags this year. Do I think he'll be a BC lifer? Probably not. And if he continues winning at the Heights other NFL teams and college programs will come calling. But let's look at the current NFL openings. I don't see Jags fitting in for different reasons.

Atlanta Falcons -- I think Jags would listen to returning to Atlanta and working for Arthur Blank. I just don't think Blank can make this hire. It would be a PR nightmare locally. First he dumps Jim Mora Jr. because Mora was too much of a players coach. Then you bring in Bobby Petrino, who jumps right back to college after one year. So to fill the void you're going to hire a Jim Mora assistant from college football? Not going to fly and I don't know if Jags would want to take this job right now. From a salary cap situation the team will be in a hole for a couple of seasons.

Miami Dolphins -- the good news, you get to work with Bill Parcells. The bad news, you get to work with Bill Parcells. Despite the shadow and the potential of Parcells micro-managing I am sure the opportunity is intriguing. But Jags is not part of the Parcells coaching tree. I just don't see the Tuna hiring him when there are a dozen guys around who he knows and trusts.

Baltimore Ravens -- Don't have much of a feel for this job. However, Ozzie Newsome's last three hires have all been from within the NFL. Don't think they'll go the college route.

No comments: