Tuesday, May 03, 2016

BC looking to flip Iowa commit

New Jersey WR Frank Darby was all set to go to Iowa. He even attended their Spring Game a few weeks ago. However, some academic concerns -- Iowa wanted him to attend prep school -- had Darby looking around again. His first post-Iowa visit will be BC.  This is where things get interesting.

As a 2016 recruit, Darby would be available to play this fall and would presumably join other 2016 recruits when they get on campus this summer. Although he is a WR, he has the athleticism to play other positions. BC didn't recruit him last time around, but Darby has a strong relationship with new staffer Anthony Campanile. 

Getting him on campus for a visit is huge, but I also wonder where the Admissions Office stands on Darby. If Iowa had academic concerns, I don't see how our Admissions team won't. I hope that by getting Darby this far in the process, he's cleared that hurdle. It would be bad to publicly court this kid and then jerk him around like Iowa did...especially as we are rebuilding our New Jersey relationships. 

11 comments:

Kash86 said...

It sounds as tho it was simply a test score, which he has now received, and is currently eligible to clear NCAA admissions. If he can keep up at BC, that's another question for another day, but the admission aspect shouldn't be an issue

Goberry said...

With all due respect to my Hawkeye friends, Iowa isn't exactly the Harvard of the Midwest. If there is an academic issue there, I would hope it would be a more major issue at the Heights.

Hoib said...

I'd like to see him get in. This would dispel my theory that we aren't willing to compete for every kid who is eligible. What I've said in the past on these issue's only relates to academics. I not in favor of bringing in violent individuals who happen to qualify academically.

Goberry said...

I should add to above that Kash may very well be right about it only being a test score (I have no idea). If that is the case, take my main comment with a grain of salt.

SaturdaysOnShea said...

I have read elsewhere that BC not only takes into account admissions eligibility, but also if they will succeed if admitted. I'm sure BC will provide the resources he would need to succeed, I hope they will give him the chance.

Guido said...

I guess that if he comes to BC , it would be a nice addition , but I do not have any info on his abilities. My only question would be - why did we not show any interest during the initial recruiting process ?? In addition to Rutgers and Iowa, Umass and Pitt also offered. We are not even listed as an interested party. No big deal - just a matter of curiosity !! Maybe one of you is a recruiting Guru who follows this recruiting process much more than I. Thanks for any info.

mod34b said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CT said...

I read the 7:50 comment and also believe that BC commenters are no different than the rest of the ACC.

CT said...

I can guarantee u that GTech, a top 5 engineering school in the country, has different standards than BC- a liberal arts school. But not for the reason some think. They push through their guys-look at their grad rates, not great- it's not the NFL or transfers that kills them. It's their recruits. It's a myth that Tech can't get guys in. They lower as much as anyone. It's their offense that kills recruiting rankings.

Could u get into GTech?

mod34b said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Napolean Bonaparte said...

Its a small industry at Georgia Tech keeping their jocks afloat.

http://www.studentathlete.gatech.edu/about-student-athlete-services

As they say at student athlete services - "We will continue to enhance our inclusive & non-threatening environment such that all students are free to pursue academic success, leadership opportunities, and career services."