Thursday, November 04, 2021

BC-Virginia Tech preview

Let us start with the positive. Jeff Hafley built a lot of goodwill with fans, media and players last year. He lost his best player and still managed to pull off some early wins and nearly beat Clemson. He is also still a first time head coach who is learning. The bad news is that in my opinion he has botched the QB position the past month. I was relieved to see Morehead take the field since I have been begging for anyone other than Grosel to get a shot. As promised, Morehead was raw. But my frustration was the continued use of Grosel, especially when the game slipped away. I understand that Hafley is not in a good position, but I feel like every decision with the QB is making things worse. Or at least more frustrating. Does Morehead give us a better shot than Grosel? Maybe not. But we are not winning anything with Grosel, so you might as well give Morehead more time and sell it as building for the future. But Hafley seems like a learner and someone who will do everything he can to figure it out. I hope the plan this week changes the tide.

What's on my mind (not totally related to this game)
There is a lot of talk that the ACC could do away with divisions and move to a rotating schedule. I would hope that the end of divisions would also mean the end of the cross division game. In the post-Beamer era Virginia Tech doesn't have the clear identity they had under their old Legend. I don't know anyone who is excited about them as a program or opponent. Even in Beamer's last days, those games still had some juice.

Three Simple Keys
1. Stop the run. Virginia Tech is not as one-dimensional as we are, but they are close. If we stop their run, we should win. 
2. Contain Burmeister on passing plays. Don't allow him to run for positive yards when everyone has dropped into coverage.
3. Get Zay at least seven touches. I said it last week and it remains true. Even if the deep balls are not working, try a sweep or give him a flanker screen or crossing route. Get him the ball in space.

Gambling Notes
-- The home team is 4-1 against the spread in the last five games in this series
-- Hafley is 0-1 against the Hokies
-- Fuente is 3-2 vs BC
The current line is BC+3

Factoid
The Hokies lead the series 19-10

Scoreboard Watching
At this point we need to root for Wake. They play UNC this weekend. If they go undefeated and sneak into the playoff, it will be validation that a private school without history or huge revenues or large fan base can  make it. 

I hope to see...
More of Morehead. He did look lost at times last week, but you can see some future out there (or maybe I am just talking myself into it at this point).

BC is in trouble if...
We have another 10 minute collapse. There is so much going wrong that I haven't harped on the growing pattern of games becoming out of reach in a few short possessions. That is on Hafley to control and it will start with fewer Special Teams mistakes.

Bottom Line
I don't feel great about this game. However, I do still trust and like Hafley. I am hoping he figures out a formula this week and BC runs the ball while stopping the Hokies run. This turns into a real old school ground and pound and BC holds on.
Final Score: BC 21, Virginia Tech 17

No comments: