Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Spring recap/preview Part I

Now that official football practices are wrapped up, I thought I would give my thoughts on each area of the team. I’ll start with the offensive line since that is probably the area of least concern.


Offensive line play has been the foundation of TOB’s success. The strategy seems to be recruit big kids, bulk them up and coach them up. Last year was probably the most the offensive line [as a whole] has struggled in the past five years. Jeremy Trueblood dealt with nagging injuries most of the season and Cherilus got pulled periodically due to inconsistent play. Plus, as I have often repeated, I don’t think they got much help from the backfield or tight ends.


This season the entire unit returns. While TOB won’t list a final depth chart until late August I think it is safe to say these guys will be the starters:


LT, Jeremy Trueblood, SR, 6-9, 330
LG, James Marten, JR, 6-8, 313
C, Patrick Ross, SR, 6-4, 295
RG, Josh Beekman, JR, 6-2, 320
RT, Gosder Cherilus, SO, 6-7, 310



SO Ty Hall (whose Dad wears the funny hat) also received significant playing time last season.


If Trueblood plays well and stays healthy he could be a first-day draft pick. I think Ross also has pro potential. Hopefully both will be focused and lead the unit.


There was no significant news out of this group during Spring Practices.


I expect the team to run more than last season, so pressure will fall on the line. Two years together, depth and good coaching -- there is no reason they should not be able to handle it.

No comments: